Eggs are considered as one of the greatest sources of proteins. It helps to complete the deficiency of protein in the body. It even helps in building the muscles.
For the person who wants to preserve their eggs for a long time, the most common method they can use is freezing egg yolks. So now How to Freeze Egg Yolks, let’s explore many tips and tricks.
How To Freeze Raw Egg Yolks
When it comes to how to freeze egg yolks, you need to understand that it takes a little time to freeze egg yolks. They can become paste-like or like a gel when they are frozen.
- Therefore, to overcome this we should add a pinch of salt or sugar while freezing them. Preserving eggs in salt is a very traditional way.
- This depends on what purpose you’ll be using your frozen egg yolk. For freezing the raw egg yolks, first, separate the egg yolks from all the eggs.
- After removing the egg yolks, place them in an ice tray, and add sugar or salt to prevent the protein from thickening up.
- Then place them in a freezer or you can put it in zip-locked bags and place them in the freezer.
- Let them stay in the freezer overnight and the next morning you can use frozen egg yolks for your recipes.
How To Freeze Leftover Egg Yolks
Many times, we face this situation that our recipe only calls for egg white and we are left with a lot of egg yolk. Until the time you figure out what to do with your eggs yolk, they may go bad.
To overcome this you can use the leftover egg yolks and freeze them. But for freezing the egg yolks it is recommended to treat them before freezing rather than directly tossing them in a container and placing in the freezer.
The trick is to freeze the egg yolks only when they are smooth. Beat the thick egg yolks to make it smooth. When it gets smooth add salt, sugar, or corn syrup before placing them in the freezer.
You can add these things according to the further use of your egg yolks. Place a sticker over the container so that you can identify which are the sweet egg yolks and which are salty ones. So, you can use them either for dessert or main dish.
Now that you are aware of this easy trick, you can tell others how to store egg yolks.
Can You Freeze Uncooked Egg White
Many of the people have this question in their minds that can egg whites be frozen? The answer to this is yes, eggs white can also be frozen.
The frozen egg whites can also be stored for a long time. First, place them inside an ice cube tray in separate compartments. Once the egg whites are frozen, transfer them in a zip-locked bag and place them again in the freezer.
If you are thinking about how to thaw frozen eggs, transfer these cubes in the refrigerator and let them stay overnight. When the eggs are frozen, they lose their foaming power. To avoid this, place them at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
After doing this they become perfectly thawed and these thawed eggs are the best to use for any of the recipes.
Uncooked Egg Yolk Meringue
Egg yolk meringue is one of the egg whites recipes in which the egg is prepared in the form of a whipping balloon. The foam is formed by whisking or beating the egg whites, which forms a forming film that traps the air bubbles. The instructions to make an egg yolk meringue are:-
- The first step goes by cracking the eggs on a flat surface. If you crack using the edge of a bowl, the shard of the shell can puncture the yolk.
- Separate the egg white and egg yolk using any of the methods which you prefer for doing it.
- It is important to take care that any type of fat doesn’t touch the yolk because it interferes with the formation of good yolk.
- Avoid even touching it by fingers, in that way the oil from your hands doesn’t mix with the egg yolk.
- Put the egg mixture in a bowl after whipping for around 5-10 minutes. Let them cook at a temperature of around 70 degrees F for 30mins. You can now enjoy your egg meringue.
Can You Freeze Cooked Egg Yolks
Many times we have this thought in our minds that can you freeze eggs yolks or not? Well, definitely you can.
- Apart from that, we can even freeze the cooked egg yolks. Even hard-boiled egg yolks can be frozen and later used as toppings or for garnishing.
- The process to freeze the cooked egg yolk is to place them in a saucepan and add the eggs in it.
- Add water in it covering just 1-inch height above the egg yolks. Boil the eggs for around 12 minutes and then remove them and peel it and take the egg yolks out.
- Drain the yolks well before freezing them and it is advised that hard-boiled eggs or hard-boiled egg whites shouldn’t freeze as they become watery.
- And tough when they are frozen. In this way, you can use it in one of the recipes using egg whites or egg yolks.
How To Store Egg Yolks– Tips
The most efficient way of how to freeze leftovers egg whites are: –
- One of the most common mistakes we make while freezing egg yolks is that we place them in the door of the refrigerator. It is advised to place them in the main body of the refrigerator so that it gets consistent cooling.
- The eggs whites and yolks should be stored in airtight containers. If you add a little cold water to the eggs they will not get dry. But you should drain the water before using the eggs.
- Sometimes while storing the hard-boiled eggs a gassy odor can appear in the refrigerator. You need not worry about it. This gas is harmless and it usually dissipates in an hour or two.
How To Tell If Egg Yolks are Bad
When the thought appears in our minds that can I freeze egg yolks, we face a dilemma whether our egg yolks are good or bad. Here are some of the tests by which you can identify whether egg yolks are bad or good: –
#1 Sniff Test: –
This is the most simplest and reliable method for finding out if the egg has gone bad or not. The eggs that have gone bad produce a foul smell. Raw or cooked, both types of eggs produce a foul smell when gone bad.
The best way to find this out is to make a hole in the shell of the egg and sniff it. If any foul smell appears from the egg that means the egg is no longer good to use.
#2 Float Test: –
It is also one of the widely and commonly used tests to find out the freshness of the egg. Place eggs in a water-filled bowl. If the eggs sink in a downward direction it is considered fresh.
If the eggs come lifting in the upward direction or if it floats, the egg is considered old and not fit for use. This method is used to find out the difference between new and old eggs but old eggs sometimes can be good to eat also.
#3 Candling Test: –
This test can be used to access the quality of the egg. It even gives us information regarding the growth of a chick inside the fertilized egg. This method is majorly used in the industries where eggs are tested on a large scale.
However, this test can also be done at home. For this you need a dark room, light the candle in the room and tilt the egg towards the flame of the candle and turn it left and right. This will allow you to see the contents inside the eggs and you can determine whether the egg is good or bad.
How to Freeze Eggs– Quick Tips
Many times while making a dish using egg yolk, we face the problem of what to do with leftover egg whites? To overcome this why not freeze the eggs, here are some of the easiest steps that will help you to freeze the eggs:
- The first thing is to take a muffin tin and spray it with cooking oil or olive oil.
- Take the eggs, break their shell, and pour the ingredients in each component of the muffin tin. Fill all of them with eggs that are whisked properly.
- Then cover the top of the muffin tin with plastic wrap and put them in the freezer for around 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When they are frozen take them out of the muffin tin and place them in a zip-locked bag and try to take out as much air as possible and place it in the freezer for using it again for your recipes with egg whites and yolk.
Now lest take some common FAQs on freezing egg yolk.
How Long Do Egg Yolks Last In The Freezer?
One year yes, you heard it right. According to the FDA, if you keep raw egg whites and raw egg yolks in the freezer, they can last longer till one year. Isn’t it amazing?
Where To Buy Egg Yolks
Can you buy egg yolks? Yes, Liquid egg yolk is available refrigerated and is always pasteurized for safety and shelf life. Liquid egg yolk carton can also include ingredients like salt or sugar for amazing flavors.
Below are my top picks for you on egg yolk powders and Liquid egg yolk carton.
What Are Egg Yolks Good For?
Compared with egg whites, the yolk contains the majority of an egg’s decent stuff, including the greater part of its iron, folate and nutrients. The yolks likewise contain two supplements—lutein and zeaxanthin—that help eye and brain wellbeing.
What Is The Egg Yolk Substitute For Custard
For custurd we can puree delicate tofu and add to your dish instead of eggs. Pureed tofu works incredible, particularly with regards to mimicking that eggy surface.
What Happens When You Put An Egg In Corn Syrup
When You Put An Egg In Corn Syrup the egg will shrink. This is additionally because of osmosis, however in the opposite direction. The corn syrup is generally sugar. It has a lower concentration of water (25% water) than the egg (90% water)
Can You Refrigerate Eggs After Cooking
Refrigerate extra cooked egg dishes and use them within 3 to 4 days. While refrigerating a lot of a hot egg-containing extra, partition it into a few shallow holders so it will cool rapidly
How Long Can Beaten Eggs Last In Fridge
Whole Beaten eggs can last in Refrigerator and Fridge based on its form. Pour into containers and seal tightly. You can also label the container with the number of eggs and the date, and freeze for your future reference.
Below are the comparisons between keeping Beaten Eggs in Refrigerator and Fridge.
|Eggs||Refrigerator (35°F to 40°F)|
|Raw eggs (in the shell)||Max 3 weeks after purchase|
|Raw eggs (slightly beaten)||2 days max|
|Raw egg whites||4 days max|
|Raw egg yolks||2 days|
|Hard-boiled (in the shell)||1-week max|
|Hard-boiled eggs (peeled)||Use the same day for the best quality|
|Eggs||Freezer (0°F or colder)|
|Raw eggs (in the shell)||Never freeze|
|whole eggs (slightly beaten)||Up to 1-year max|
|Egg whites||Up to 1-year max|
|Egg yolks||Up to 1-year max|
|Hard-boiled eggs (with shell)||Never freeze|
|Hard-boiled eggs (peeled)||Never freeze (as the eggs whites become tough and watery)|
#1 How to Make Egg Yolk Sweets
One of the most famous uses of egg yolks is to make sweets. Here is one recipe for making cookies with egg yolk that will overwhelm the person whoever eats it.
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yolks of 6 eggs
- Leftover egg whites
- Vanilla extracts 1 tablespoon
- Sugar 1 cup
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 and ½ cup flour
- Baking soda 1 tablespoon
- Walnuts, nuts, cashew (Optional)
- Initially heat the oven to a temperature of 350 degrees F.
- Take a small bowl and whisk the egg yolks and vanilla extracts in the bowl.
- Take a large mixing bowl and pour butter and sugar in it and beat it using an electronic hand mixer until it gets fluffy.
- Add egg yolk mixture into it and continue mixing it.
- Add baking soda and flour in it and add nuts in it.
- Place them in a baking sheet in the shape of round 1.5 inch balls and bake it for around 8-10 minutes.
- Take them out and enjoy your cookies.
- Calories- 450K cal
#2 Recipes Using Raw Egg Yolks
Some people prefer using egg yolks for their recipe rather than choosing an egg white recipe. If you also want to know what to do with the frozen egg yolks and normal egg yolks, these recipes will help you out.
Salted Eggs Yolk
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 6 Egg yolks
- Cooking oil or olive oil
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites as this recipe is different from the traditional egg whites recipe.
- Set the stove on low flame and coat the pan with olive oil.
- Pour the liquid egg yolk in the pan and let it fry.
- Use the spatula to break it into pieces and fry it well from all the sides.
- Sprinkle salt on the top of the eggs and mix them well while frying.
- Take them out on a plate. It is better to serve them hot.
- Calories- 320Kcal
#3 Homemade Custard
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Double cream 200 ml
- Whole milk 700 ml
- Egg yolks of 4 eggs
- Cornflour 3 tablespoons
- Vanilla Extract
- Put the milk and the cream in a large pan. Bring it close to a boiling point.
- Use another bowl to whisk the egg yolks after adding sugar.
- Next, add vanilla and cornflour in the egg yolks mixture and blend them properly.
- As you are blending the mixture, add the hot milk and cream into the mix. Keep whisking continuously.
- Place this mixture in the large pan again and keep stirring it until all the lumps disappear.
- Custard can be served hot or cold both as per taste preferences.
These are some of the recipes that use egg yolk instead of the egg white and tastes great. Try more such recipes.
You may also like to read below recepies.
- How To Cook a Traditional Japanese Breakfast(#13+ Recipes)
- How To Make Grape Juice (#8 Quick & Healthy Ways) Must Try!
- How To Boil Peanuts- Healthy and Quick(#17) Boiled Peanut Recipes To Try
- How To Make Scrambled Eggs (9 Must-Try Yummy Recipes)
- How To Make A Milkshake At Home- Best Yet Easy (# 15 Recipes)
The article above gives us many of the methods to freeze the eggs so that you can store them well and use them later. It’s up to you to know whether to use frozen egg whites or not in your egg white recipes.
One more thing that can strike the question in your mind is how to unfreeze eggs, you can use put them in steam or place them in the oven. This will unfreeze your frozen eggs.
By using the above methods you can store your eggs for a long time and enjoy them in many of the recipes using egg white only and egg yolk only.
Did you find how To Freeze Egg Yolks interesting? Please follow Knifeandfork Pinterest and leave a comment below, share it, like it, rate it. We’d love to see what you cook! write to us Here. We, as a small blogger, need all the help, motivation, and appreciation. This small help for Subscribing and sharing on social media will be appreciated!