Steak is one of the most enjoyable dishes around the world. There is a proper steak way to slice a streak, i.e. it should be cut across its grain boundary. But some people find it difficult to find how to cut a steak. We’ve got some pro tips for you that will help you to perfectly cut your steak.
how to cut steak before cooking?
Cutting a steak before cooking is the most vital process in making your steak look beautiful and give the perfect cut and bite. Below steps map the proper way to cut a steak before cooking: –
- The main thing that needs to be taken care of while cutting any kind of steak or meat is to find the grain boundary. Then, it is better to cut it against the grain, i.e. against the direction of muscle fiber.
- Each cut will have a different impact on your steak. You will be able to identify the difference in tenderness or flavor just by the style you use to cut.
- The steaks that have long muscle fiber are harder to cut. If you want to cut them in a perfect way, it is advised that they should be marinated before grilling or cooking them.
- The best way to cut the steak perfectly is to partially freeze the meat; This will help you to identify the grain boundary perfectly.
- If you don’t cut the steak along its grain, it will feel gummy in chewing. That’s the reason it should be cut against the grains. This will break up the muscle fiber and make steak tender.
- Also, read- What Is Denver Steak? Amazing Mouth-Watering Recipes
- How To Make Red Eye Gravy | Top (12) Yummy! Delish Recipes
How To Cut A Raw Steak
If you cut your steak perfectly while it is raw, it will make it much easier for you to cook it in a delicious way. Here is the proper way on how to cut a steak while it is raw: –
Raw Steak Cut
The first step for obtaining a proper cut is to partially freeze the meat. As the frozen meat is easier to cut. Because the water inside the meat crystallizes that will turn into ice and gives you a better and defined structure and firmness.
Don’t over freeze your meat; It should be just firm to the touch not in completely solid form.
Raw Steak Cut
After freezing the meat, the grain will be visible in a better form and it will become easier for you to cut along it. When the meat is cut along the length of those fibers it will increase its toughness.
Try cutting your meat against the muscle grain. This method will give numerous tiny fibers against one long one. Also, you will get mouth-melting meat.
How To Cut A Steak When Eating?
Most people pay proper attention to eating their steak and cutting it in a proper manner while eating. Here is the process of how to cut a steak with a knife and fork or how to cut a steak while eating.
- The most important involves cutting one bite of steak at a time.
- Use your right hand to hold the knife with the index finger extending down to the backside of the knife.
- Hold the fork in your left and cut one bite of the meat with a knife by moving it in a zigzag motion.
- When you finish cutting your meat, take the fork in the right hand and enjoy your steak.
- Don’t start with edges, try to cut it along the center.
- Since fat improves the steak’s flavor, you can eat it as well.
- When you are done eating meat, place the bones in a separate plate.
With the steps listed above, you can confidently walk out of the steak house after enjoying your steak.
How To Cut A Steak Against The Grain
Cutting steak against the grain determines how tender the meat is. It depends completely on how you cut the meat. Follow these steps to get a clear idea of how to cut a steak against the grain.
- The first step is to find the direction of the grain on the steak, i.e. the direction in which the muscle fibers are aligned.
- After you find out the grain directions, try to cut the steak in the same direction where the grain runs.
- It is best if you slice the steak across the grain rather than cutting it parallel to it.
- Cutting the meat against the fiber will make it easy to chew. However, if the cut isn’t done right it will be less tender.
How To Cut Ribeye Steak
Ribeye steak is the most common type of steak that is served in restaurants. It can be made at home with ease and has a delicious taste. The main thing to be catered to is how to slice a ribeye.
- The first thing is to don’t cut your meat right after you cook it. Let your meat rest for around 10-30 minutes.
- Resting time depends upon the meat size. To get a smaller piece of steak, let it rest for almost 10 minutes. However, if you want to cut it into larger pieces, let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Covering the meat with loose foil and placing them in a warm spot will keep the meat nice. Also, keep it warm while it rests.
- This will also redistribute the juices throughout the beef that will make it evenly cooked and juicier.
- After this find the sharpest knife to slice ribeye. If you use a blunt knife the cut will not be smooth.
- Lastly cut the steak across the grain so that you can yield the tenderest steak cut.
How To Cut Strip Steak Against The Grain
In slicing steak, the most important part is doing this against the grain. Most find it difficult to know how to trim a steak and cut it against the grain. You can do it in the following manner:
- Cutting the strip steak against the grain majorly involves considering the direction of the meat’s muscle fiber.
- When you’ll have a closer look at your steak you’ll find a bunch of lines that run parallel to each other. This is known as grain.
- In some steak, the cuts are harder to find while in some form of steaks the grains are easier to identify.
- Don’t get distracted by the grill marks while cutting the cooked steak; Also, don’t confuse them with grain lines.
- After finding the grain lines, use the knife to cut the grain lines in a parallel direction against the grain of the meat.
How To Cut Sirloin Steak Into Strips
Sirloin steak is a little different from the other forms of steak. Follow the listed steps to learn how to cut beef sirloin into strips.
- Keep the steak in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will make the frosty meat easier to slice.
- If you see any visible fat on steak at the edges, trim them. If there is any bone present separate it too.
- Identify meat’s grain (direction in which meat’s fiber run)
- Take a very sharp knife and place it at a 45-degree angle to the grain and cut slices.
- Cut it in slices of around 3 inches in length. Cook and enjoy your sirloin steak.
How To Dice Steak Like A Pro
Dicing the steak like a pro will require some simple rules for you to follow. If you too want to know how to slice sirloin steak like a pro follows these steps: –
- Freeze the steak before cutting it; it will crystallize the water present in the meat that will give a clear view of the grain line.
- Take the sharpest knife present in your kitchen to slice the meat. A blunt knife will spoil the grains of the meat.
- Cut it along the grainline so that you can get the best-tender steak.
- Slice it into small pieces for enjoying them to the fullest.
How To Cut A Flank Steak?
Cutting the flank steak can be a little tricky. But if you follow these steps you’ll get a better understanding of how to cut meat.
- There is a thin membrane covering one side of the flank steak that is silver in color. Firstly remove it.
- After placing the meat on the cutting board, remove the membrane from it using a sharp knife.
- While you’re slicing meat the membrane keeps pulling it in an upward direction so that it gets removed easily.
- Don’t pull it much otherwise your meat will have a deep cut.
- Trim the large pieces of fat available in the meat, leaving a little fat on the steak as it will increase the taste of your meat.
- While removing the fat try to get as close as to the red meat and remove the white meat.
How To Cut A Flat Iron Steak?
The flat iron steak is the part of steak that is obtained from the shoulder along with. Also, it makes them part of the blade roast. These how to carve flank steak tips will help you to cut a flat iron steak.
- Take the elk, moose, or beef shoulder and make way through its shoulder until you see its muscle.
- Use the scapula and take one piece out from it.
- There you will see a gnarly line of sinew along with the cartilage, running towards the middle of the roast, you’ve to remove it completely.
- For this take a knife and start moving it along the line of the cartilage of the flat iron steak.
- Keep the knife close to the cartilage. Keep trying this once you’ll successfully do it, it will become easier to do next time.
- On the flat iron steak, there is a strong grainline that can be easily seen. Cut the steak along this line.
- Saute it or grill it and enjoy your steak.
How To Cut A Tri Tip Steak?
Cutting a tri-tip steak is a method of how to cut sirloin steak. When roast is cut from the bottom of sirloin beef it is called Tri-Tip. Follow these steps to know how to cut a tri-tip steak
- Carefully trim the fat cap, if there is any present on the steak.
- From the top point cut the roast into half and move the blade along the seam of tri-tip steak.
- Take the half divided roast of the steak and rotate it at an angle of 30 degrees towards yourself.
- Starting from the uncut end, keep cutting slices across the grain.
- Cut thin slices from this until this side is completed.
- For the remaining sections keep cutting it across the grain.
- Keep cutting the thin slices until completing the final section.
How To Cut A Tuna Steak?
Tuna steak is lighter than other steaks, as it has lesser fat content and the grainline is hardly visible. So it becomes difficult to know how to render fat on a steak. Following are the tips that will help you to do this
- The first step is to remove the scales from the fish.
- Use the knife and cut the fish off from its gill.
- Remove the nig bone from the center of the fish.
- Make a cut along the stomach of the fish.
- Open the fish and cut along the bones present inside it and remove the internal organs.
- Remove the blood vessels from the tuna and clean the fish.
- Cut the fish into steaks and enjoy it.
How To Make A Bad Cut Of Steak Tender?
The best answer to the question of how should I trim fat off New York strip steak is to make a bad cut of steak tender. These steps will help you to achieve it: –
- Lay the steak on a plate and cover it’s each side with salt.
- Use your fingers to gently cover the steak with salt granules on the surface of the steak.
- It will help you to break down the fibers of the meat.
- Let it stay like this for around 45 minutes if you want longer cuts leave it for more time.
- Now rinse off the salt and use a paper towel to dry your steel.
- Season it in the desired form and enjoy it.
How Long To Freeze A Steak To Allow It To Be Cut Easily?
If you are cutting meat on the basis it is best that you should freeze it before cutting.
- The best process to do is to partially freeze the meat grain to make the best out of steak.
- The appropriate time to freeze it is around 30 minutes, in this, the meat gets partially frozen and it doesn’t become much hard.
- After partially freezing it, it will become easier for you to slice the meat thin.
You may also like to find below recipes and food tips interesting.
- How To Freeze Fresh Broccoli [Exclusive #9 PRO Ways To Try]
- What Is Denver Steak? Amazing Mouth-Watering Recipes
- How To Make Iced Chocolate Best (#14) Must-Try Recipes [For Chocolate Lovers]
- How To Make Red Eye Gravy | Top (12) Yummy! Delish Recipes
- How to Freeze Egg Yolks (Best 11+ Tips To Preserve Leftover)
Common questions on how to cut A steak
Q1: Is it cheaper to cut your own steaks?
Cutting your own steaks from an entire dish will consistently be less expensive than getting them pre-cut. In any case, in the event that you purchase the meals when they’re at a bargain, you can save a lot of money! Continuously cut and freeze your meals the day you get them.
Q2: Can I cut a beef joint into steaks?
The short answer is Yes. For this, you need to have a decent blade, one that will really slice through the meal in one, or two passes, and you understand what you’re doing.
Q3: How thick do you cut ribeye steaks?
While 1 inch is a decent thick-cut, the best steaks, particularly with regards to premium cuts like ribeyes and strips, are around 1.5 inches in thickness.
Q4: What is the rarest steak called?
A blue steak is extra uncommon and somewhat short of served crude. It’s called blue since it flaunts a somewhat blue or purple tone, contingent upon your shading insight.
We have talked about in details How to cut steaks after and before cooking, How To Cut A Steak ? how to cut ribeye steak, how to cut beef, how to cut sirloin, how to eat steak, how to cut a ribeye steak against the grain, and how to cut top sirloin steak into strips, how to slice skirt steak.
We hope you’ll follow these steps and make the best of your beef and cut your steak properly.
Did you find the How To Cut A Steak Tips interesting? Please follow Knifeandfork Pinterest and leave a comment below, share it, like it, rate it. We’d love to see what you cook! write to us Here. We, as small bloggers, need all the help, motivation, and appreciation. This small help for Subscribing and sharing on social media will be appreciated!